Monday, June 6, 2011

I’m Distressed

Not me silly, my highchair! Yes, I am 25 years old, and yes I still have a highchair. I have inherited my baby high chair, which was my mother’s before me, and my uncle’s before that; he is over 60 now. I lurv my high chair! I actually loved it more before my crazy ex-aunt lady ,not really related to me, took it and painted it PINK, yes that’s right, I said PINK! A hideous pink at that. It used to be in its natural dark wooden state, and I loved it. My highchair has a lot of cracks and crannies…(do those fit here)? Anyways, I was too lazy to strip it all down, so I sanded and then painted, and then distressed it. This was my first time distressing a piece, and I think I went a little crazy. These pics are of my high chair toned down. I actually went back and added a lot more distressing on the seat and the back, per advice from a friend. I can’t tell you how many times I painted, then distressed, then repainted, then resanded. I think I’m just gonna leave it. It looks like it has been given lots of love and usage throughout the years. Tell me what you think!

high chair 010-2

Before. I actually had started sanding before I took the shot.

high chair 025-2

AFTER. Please excuse our hideous floors. We ripped the linoleum up in hopes of restoring the original hardwoods, but as you can see they are in terrible shape. We have decided to save up our funds so we can afford some nice tile/slate for the kitchen and mudroom (since they are adjoining rooms).

high chair 031-2

The back and seat are much more distressed now…Should I have left it how it was? IDK! I barely distressed the tray, bec/ we might have a little one eating on it one day. BTW I used Olymipic no VOC paint. The color is Creamy by Sherwin Williams.

high chair 030-2

Seat detail. You can still see a little pink in the distress areas, I guess I can handle it in small amounts. :D It makes it look like it has been painted multiple times (which it has) and the paint is chipping. It is all actually very smooth. I sanded over the whole thing with 120 grit and then I finished it with wax finishing paste. This is what it looks like.

image

It is not suppose to yellow your white paint like polyurethane. It also protects with a water resistant finish. You just wipe it on with a rag, let dry for 10 to 15 minutes and then buff off with a clean rag, shines right up!

No comments: