Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Some Women Shop ‘til they Drop, I Paint ‘til I Drop

I’m at it again, another painting project. This one is near and dear to my heart. I’m refinishing a VERY old chair my Paw-Paw gave to me. Honestly, he’s probably rolling over in his grave right now. My Maw-Maw told me that he used to fuss when he would hear about people painting antiques. Paw-Paw used to run an upholstery shop long ago. He gave each of his grandkids one item that he had reupholstered. This chair is my piece of furniture he gave me. I wish I knew its history or at least how old it is.

I’m not quite finished with this project, but I’m going to let you see what I’ve done already.

chair makeover 002-2

BEFORE

chair makeover 003-2

So I taped off around all the fabric, then took steel wool and lightly scratched up the wood. Next I sprayed the whole chair with primer to make my paint stick. I just use the cheapest acrylic primer I can get my hands on.

chair makeover 004

chair makeover 008-2

Here is the chair after three coats of Sherwin Williams Creamy in Semi-Gloss. I also used a faux glaze for my distressing, the color is Espresso Beans. I put the antiquing glaze on the cracks and crannies with a brush and then wiped it off with a wet towel. I also lightly sanded in places that I thought the chair would naturally wear down.

Check out this gorgeous detail.
chair makeover 009-2

I’m swooning over the tiny cracks in the woodwork. Isn’t it to die for!?! I think I did a much better job distressing on this piece.

chair makeover 010-2

Stay tuned. Hopefully tomorrow I will be showing you the cheapest way EVER to reupholster furniture.

Cheers!

No comments: