Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Walls of Curtains


A year ago, this month we moved to our new home.  I can’t believe it’s already been a year.  We have done so much in the living room, but have yet to finish.  The ceiling has new sheetrock and a brocade texture.  We closed in the closet and opened it up into the master bedroom.  We’ve stained the wood floors, and painted the walls.  We hung my art, and installed surround sound.  We still have to put in a light fixture and a ceiling fan, replace the front door, buy a leather sectional, and buy a rug.  Our latest project included installing a track system and hanging the curtains. 
Our living room is extra long, because what used to be a screened in front porch was closed in and made into a small sunroom attached to our living room.  You really can’t tell it was an add on, it just looks like part of the living room.  Well, it is pretty much two walls of windows, and my favorite little spot in the house.  I plan on turning it into a his/hers area.  Jeff already has claimed part of the space with his drums and guitar set up, but on the right side, I’m making a reading nook.  I’m in love with a chaise from Ikea, that I plan to put over there on top of my shag rug.  Then I’ll add a few floor pillows, a side table, and a lamp.
Here is Jeff reading the directions on how to put together the track system from Ikea.
curtains 001
My friend and I made the curtains.  I used three different types of fabric and made panels by cutting them all the same size and using a serger on the edges.
Here is how it turned out:
curtains 003
This is during the day with the light coming in.
curtains 005curtains 017
I love how the fabric lightly graces across the floor.
curtains 020
Notice the surround?
Here’s some details of the top:
curtains 018
Both of these fabrics are from Hancock's, on sale.
curtains 019
The sheer fabric was on clearance at Wal-Mart for $1 a yard.
I love it!  Now we can watch movies during the day with no glare on the t.v.
Even though the track system took a while to put up, we both felt it was well designed and very sturdy.

Cheers!

No comments: